To promote transparency and increase awareness of the impact of the Pennsylvania philanthropy community, NEPA Grantmakers has partnered with Foundation Center to bring top-line data about the philanthropy landscape to regional foundations, nonprofits, policymakers, and media in the new Pennsylvania Foundation Stats.
This new public-facing interactive dashboard represents the latest available data from PA foundations and the IRS and offers insights into:
- The composition of foundations in Pennsylvania,
- The giving priorities, populations, and support strategies of those foundations, and
- Giving to Pennsylvania by all foundations, regardless of location.
In the most recent year of complete data (2015) for the entire state of Pennsylvania:
- There were 6,517 foundations with assets of $34.7 billion and giving of $2.4 billion in 2015.
- Only 27% of grantmaking went to general operating support while more than ½ of the grant dollars went to specific programs.
- 6,363 non-Pennsylvania Foundations awarded 46,975 grants totaling $976.5 Million to Pennsylvania recipient organizations in 2015. See the top 25 out-of-state funders.
- Education continues to be the top funding priority for Pennsylvania foundations.
- The top population groups benefiting from Pennsylvania giving were children and youth followed by economically disadvantaged. See more population focus areas here.
Does the data look incomplete? GRANTMAKERS: SHARE YOUR DATA!
It is important to note that the most complete data is shown under 2015, as data for the last two years is still being collected by Foundation Center. Foundations can contribute their most recent grants data easily, and in doing so, strengthen the accuracy of this overall picture of Pennsylvania philanthropy.
The dashboard represents the latest available grants data from the Internal Revenue Service and a pool of foundations who directly share their giving information with Foundation Center. Pennsylvania foundations can learn more about how to submit their data here. (It’s the same process as adding your data to Foundation Maps!)